They say if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life. Sometimes this is a state of mind and a reflection of your mood. I think it is easy, after spending hours balancing the books, yes not my favourite pastime, to get into a negative frame of mind. To jog myself out of that state I often reflect on why I became a business owner and what the benefits are.
- Make all the decisions.
- You are the boss. No one else can tell you what to do.
- You can choose your hours of work. This is a primary reason for many to start their own business so they can work around their family and life responsibilities. You don’t have to spend your day in useless meetings.
- Work where you want. From home, an office or any part of the globe. Many people are choosing to develop online businesses that they can run whilst travelling.
- Choose whom to work with. Initially, many business owners feel they need to take all business that is offered to them. As you progress you realise who are the “difficult clients” and you can choose to avoid them.
- Building a saleable asset. This is both creative and an investment in your future.
- Employing and supporting others is both a privilege and a responsibility.
- Doing things your way. This is great if you are a process guru but also “doing it my way” may mean outsourcing or employing others.
- There are a lot of tax breaks for business owners versus employees.
- Being creative and carving out a new niche.
What did you think of my list? I am sure is not complete, if you have thoughts you would like to add please send me a message.