It’s end of year. And the last thing you need is another event to go to!
Luckily, this is not an invitation to an event. It’s an invitation to reflect on the year that was and set your intentions for 2020. And RSVP is the formula to help you do this.
- Review. Look back over 2019
- Superpowers. What are you awesome at and should do more of?
- Values. What are the emotions/feelings you want more of in 2020? What are the key values that underscore this?
- Purpose. Start with the end in mind – what’s your purpose for 2020? Your goals, aims, intentions or ambitions for 2020?
To help you to effectively RSVP, here are some guiding questions:
- Looking back over 2019, what are you proud of?
- What were your challenges?
- If there was one thing you could change, what would it be?
- What served you well?
- What didn’t serve you well?
- What surprised you?
- Word or phrase that sums up the year
- When are you in the zone, what are the sorts of things you are doing?
- What do other people say you are awesome at or give you compliments for
- What gives you energy?
- What are your super powers?
- When was the last time you felt awesome? What were you doing?
- When you’re in your groove, the emotions that come up for you are …?
- What are your key values and how do they show up in your work?
- Imagine the end of 2019, what have you done that you are passionate about?
- Who are your heroes? What is it about them that you admire?
- What feelings or emotions do you want to have more of in 2020?
And bringing it all together with our intentions for 2020
- In 2019, I noticed …
- My super powers are ….
- For 2020, I want more (values, emotions, feelings) ….
- So my purpose for 2020 is to ….
Some of you might recall that I did this last year. My end of year reflection?
“Reflecting on 2018 I noticed that I got energy from bringing people together through groups and events, that I had a holiday (yay!) and that I didn’t do enough professional development and learning. I also noticed that I really love what I do – so much so that when a role came up that would have been my ‘dream job’ just a few years ago, I wasn’t interested! I want to use my superpowers of connecting, positive energy, listening and empowering. For 2019, I want more learning, more balance and more fun (outside work – I get plenty of fun in my work!) and to to think more about impact. My goals for 2019 are (1) impact – to do my WISE tribe podcast; (2) connecting – focussing more on my group work; (3) learning – to do some more formal professional development and to focus more on thinking – take the time to think.”
As I noted then – nothing like being accountable to a few thousand people! I’m particularly proud that this year I did indeed get my podcast out to the world (although it changed its name – you can take a listen to Take on Board here – now up to it’s 24th episode!).
I encourage you to find an hour and see what you come up with. And I’d love to hear your intentions for 2020 – feel free to email me here and let me know what you come up with!